Friday, April 28, 2006

Rodney Howard-Browne

Rodney Howard Browne is about at the end of his little crusade in New Zealand, and he’s been all the talk in the morning tea room – those who’ve been rave about him, those who haven’t mock him.

I have no desire to go see him, but all the talk got me thinking about why Christian’s go to these meetings.

I must admit, back in my Hamilton days I’d run along to the AOG to see God’s latest anointed one strut their stuff. But these day’s I’ve had a guts full of the hype. I mean on one level there’s nothing wrong with it – but on another, what is it that Christians rush to these big name events to feel the presence of God? I mean is this the only time they feel God is with them in a tangible sense – does this negate our ability to be with God in our own little space?

It brings to mind lyrics from Rage Against The Machine’s Mic Check:

Who got tha power
This be my question…
Tha priest tha book or tha congregation?

3 comments:

sewfunky said...

well said!

Unknown said...

Doubly well said. I think some christians get so caught up in the hype of new experiences that they loose the plot and a firm grasp of what our faith is about

Kirstin said...

I was always semi offended hearing him advertised on the radio... i think its the whole "demonstration of supernatural gifts..." like its a show or something, like going to a hypnotist to see people do stupid things, or to a stand up comedy show.

LinkWithin